Who are the Friends of CBS?
Friends of CBS is a school community group, formally known as the Campbells Bay School Parent/Teacher Association (CBS TPA). The group meets once a month, or more frequently when a specific project requires it, under the guidance of the school Principal.
Every parent and teacher is an automatic member of Friends of CBS, and all are encouraged to get involved and attend these meetings. There is no pressure, and your involvement can be as active as you choose it to be.
What do we do?
- The group meets to organise events and activities for the students, and the wider school community, to make school fun and foster a community spirit.
- We organise fundraisers for specific school projects, like playground equipment, sun shades, scooter racks and anything else we think might benefit our students.
- Friends of CBS hosts quizzes, movie nights and school discos throughout the year.
- Class representatives liaise with the Friends of CBS and help organise informal social activities within class groups.
- Second-hand uniforms are sold through the Friends of CBS. CBS 2nd Hand Uniform Form for Sellers
- We arrange and provide a walking school bus.
- Friends of CBS is open to new ideas, and we are always looking for new initiatives and willing volunteers to help coordinate them.
Friends of CBS Meetings
We meet in the staffroom, usually for one hour, where we discuss ideas for events and fundraising. Drinks, wine and nibbles are provided.
Once events are planned, we form an event committee. This is the fundraiser committee members, plus any other keen volunteers. We try to use the strengths and talents of those who are willing to help.
Meetings are also where we liaise with class representatives, who act as facilitators between parents and teachers.
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend Friends of CBS meetings. They are friendly, fun, social gatherings and are a great way to meet other families from the school community. Keep an eye out for meeting dates in the school newsletter.
Friends of CBS Class Representatives
Class representatives are an important part of continuing the wonderful community spirit that surrounds Campbells Bay School. This has been fostered by the class representatives programme, which helps parents and families get to know one another, as well as the teachers and school staff.
Each representative serves as a general communicator between the parents of students in a classroom and their teacher. The role includes coordinating low-key social functions for families outside of school hours, like class picnics and beach trips.
Representatives can assist with CBS functions where possible. They can also be involved in organising parent help for school activities, like school trips and swimming lesson supervision.
Usually the rep will collate a contact list for all the children in a class, which is useful for arranging playdates. They will also work with other class representatives for their year and the Friends of CBS, and help in welcoming new parents and families into the CBS community.
We provide our class representatives with useful tips, helpful contacts, ideas for get togethers and plenty of other support. Contact your class teacher for further details on how to become a class representative.